Thoughts, Ideas and Dreams of a Life to be and a Life to become.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

One time I didn't fit in...

Hey Everyone!
Today was a day off from work so I was able to get back to the writing :)
The chapter that I read was a little different it dealt with the idea of realizing how we are different from one another as kids.
Natalie Goldberg gives an excerpt from Zora Neale Hurston's book, "How It Feels to Be Colored Me". In it, Zora talks about growing up in Florida as a young African-American girl in the early 19th century, how she didn't feel different when she was growing up in her small town but when she was sent away to school, that was when she realized that she was different.

Natalie Goldberg's challenge for was to remember a time that you didn't fit in, I remembered a time when I had just moved to Kansas City to take part in the One Thing Internship. This was after I had just finished home schooling... :)

"One time I didn't fit in..."
There is a memory that comes to prominence when asked that question. It also so happens to be one of my roommates (former) favorite memories of me apparently.

I had just move to Kansas City to start with the 'One Thing Internship'. After a few weeks all the interns settled down into this apartment complex, one for the boys, one for the girls, but at the time I was still, pretty socially awkward from being home schooled for a couple of years.

So, I would be sitting in my room and would be wondering what everyone was doing in the other apartments, I didn't really know how to go about asking others what they were up too, so I decided that I would go to each apartment, look in their fridge to see what there was to eat, and as I was leaving, take a visual inventory about what everyone was doing. 

I did this for several weeks and my old roommate told me what it looked from his perspective; I would come into their apartment, not say anything, head to their kitchen and take a look in the fridge, see if there was anything I wanted to eat (which there usually wasn't) and then turn around and walk out of the apartment. 

At first, he thought that I just did it at their apartment, but as time went on he would be hanging out at the other guys places, I would walk in, check out what was in the fridge and then head out again.

Eventually, it became a normal thing to see me sporadically visit people's fridges and then leave. So much so, that if I wouldn't come by for a couple of days, people would begin to worry about me...

Time's Up!

Tomorrow's topic, "Reading Aloud". Hope you guys have a great night!

-Eric Alan

PS. Here is a drawing that I did today. Enjoy.

1 comment:

brittyriffle said...

That is awesome Eric...am a glad you are no longer socially awkward.

I also wonder why people always assume that socially awkward people were homeschooled. I was homeschooled and was never socially awkward!